Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Environment Business Line conducts research, characterization, and remediation of environmental contamination, and designs and implements sustainable remedial technologies. We are seeking qualified applicants for an Environmental Research Leader position at our Norwell, MA location.
As a Research Leader, the successful candidate will contribute to the development and implementation of a strategic plan for Battelle’s emerging contaminant practice, including developing and implementing research projects related to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) chemistry.
Responsibilities based on current or anticipated projects include:
- Lead innovative analytical research in emerging contaminants (including PFAS compounds) to solve highly complex environmental problems
- Maintain formal and informal communications and relationships with clients
- Consult with Business Line and Marketing Managers on strategic planning
- Contribute to technical reports and author scientific papers and posters for technical conferences
- Contribute to proposal efforts to government and industrial clients
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Proven expertise in PFAS chemistry, fate and transport, and/or treatment as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or projects with Department of Defense, EPA, or commercial clients.
- PhD in analytical chemistry, or organic or physical chemistry or engineering with at least 8 years of technical and leadership experience
- Demonstrated 5 years’ experience designing and conducting experiments using chromatographic systems with specific experience working with these compounds.
- Applied experience in the characterization of emerging contaminants at contaminated sites as well as the monitoring of remediation strategies with specific knowledge of fate, transport, and effects of these compounds.
- Experience contributing to successful business development efforts, including identifying, cultivating, and capturing opportunities.
- Demonstrated client communication skills
- Ability to travel at least 25% of the time.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Demonstrated project management experience, to include program milestones/deliverables, schedule and cost, conduct related analyses, and track financial and technical metrics and other related project management activities for multiple projects.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers