Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Lead Physicist. This position located in Egg Harbor Township, NJ.
This position is for the Lead Scientist role supporting the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL) Electromagnetics Effects and Weapons Research laboratory (EMXLAB). The qualified candidate will lead electromagnetic wave research and image analysis of explosives and inert materials with concentration in the 10 MHz – 700 GHz range.
- Lead EMXLAB programs and research and supporting staff and serving as the primary technical interface to the Government client
- Conduct literature searches
- Preparation of plans, procedures and reports
- Development/assembly of experimental apparatus
- Design and execution of experimental studies.
- Solving technical problems using chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics, and computer science.
- Interacting with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
- Conducting and participating in assigned projects with minimum of supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Preparing well-written technical reports and presentations.
- Maintaining excellent communication with team members and developing and maintaining a strong working relationship with selected clients.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, or engineering discipline from an accredited college or university with 5 - 10 years of experience conducting research on electromagnetic imaging techniques or other similar technical area.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading scientific and technical research team consisting of 3-5 people
- Experience working with RF hardware/instrumentation (network analyzers, arbitrary waveform generators, antennas, etc.), particularly Agilent PNA/PNA-X network analyzers and dielectric measurement systems (coaxial probes, millimeter wave extenders).
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following software packages: Mathematica, MATLAB, IDL, LabVIEW.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and obtain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Must be able to obtain both TSA and DHS suitability.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Strong understanding of radar imaging / data processing.
- Experience with both active and passive millimeter wave technologies and/or terahertz technologies.
- Design of GHz circuitry, including the use of mixers, filters, multipliers, amplifiers, and analog-to-digital converters.
- Experience with Fourier-Transform Microwave (FTMW) spectroscopy.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers